that hanging out with fellow authors always leaves. On day one we talked about the start of the journey towards finding your author voice. As we opened with an exercise where participants interviewed and introduced each other, one writer introduced another by saying, "Her inner artist is very protective of her own blank canvass." It was the beginning of the shedding of egos, the recognition that to be a writer you have to say 'I'm a writer!' very loud and very clear and... then just get down to the business of writing, which is the only way to actually discover the author voice that is inside you.
- A distinct Style – the true essence of the author’s voice in a novel is its unique style
- A personality of its own – a unique way of seeing the world
- Consistency – the voice stays strong throughout the novel
- Moderation – don’t overdo it!
- Immersiveness – a good voice envelops the reader within the world of the book.
- Authority – confident and unwavering
|The Royal Embassy Resort in Kamala Beach, home of the annual retreat|
If you’d like to receive my newsletter, book launch announcements or information on upcoming writing retreats, go ahead and sign up for my newsletter. When you sign up you’ll also receive a free copy of my ebook, 10 Steps to a Successful PR Campaign – a Do-it-Yourself Guide for Authors.